Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pasta with Smoked Salmon in a Creamy Dill Sauce, for real this time.

So, for real this time I'm going to post my recipe + pictures of the Smoked Salmon Creamy Dill Sauce in pasta I made the other night.

Although this recipe called for smoked salmon, I realized that it was not my cup of tea, and although much faster than cooking a non-smoked salmon, I would prefer regular salmon [maybe sockeye] in this dish the next time I make it, with a little extra sau
ce for reheating.



This is me, very excited to make this dish, obviously.



And this is my little helper, Luigi.

Onward!

Recipe:

1lb of your favorite pasta
8oz smoked salmon [next time I will use 8oz cooked regular salmon] I got th
e salmon that was already in the package in the back of the produce section, in front of the fish counter!
1 handful or so of chopped fresh dill
1/2 a medium sized onion, minced

2 tbsp olive oil for the pan
1 cup cream

So simple!

I started off by boiling some water and heating a sk
illet with tall sides. Once my water was boiling, I salted my water and put my pasta in. Then, I minced my half an onion and threw it in the pan with some olive oil and really only made the onions tender instead of browning them. I didn't mince my onions enough. I'm actually not that great of a cook because I overlook things like this.



Then, I put in the cream and some salt & pepper and let it cook for 8-10 minutes and stirred it often. When my pasta was done I strained it but left about a cup of cooking water in there
so it didn't get all sticky sitting in the pot. After the 10 minutes was up for my cream/onion mixture in the pan, I let it sit for another 3 -5 minutes to let it thicken a little bit, and put in my little cubes of smoked salmon and dill. Then I just poured the cream mixture into my pasta pot and mixed everything around to coat the pasta.



Tada! I need to learn how to take amazing picture of my food like they do on tastespotting.com.

That's all for today - thanks for reading!!

Next: Blackberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo, that looks very yummy! Good job! Fish can be a pain in the ass to cook right, too.

    Oh, and if you're having trouble mincing things, I highly suggest a slapchop. It's terrible for chopping, but it's GREAT for mincing, because you don't have to worry about getting uneven pieces, you just hit the button a ton of times. It's really great for mincing onions too, because you'll do it in a fraction of the time, and you'll also save your eyes from burning out of your head. :-P And you don't have to get an official slapchop either. My sister has one that was made in the 80s or something and it works great! And it does absolutely everything that the new slapchop does, and it's super easy to clean. Maybe I'll bring it over next time we have a cooking/super mario adventure :)

    ReplyDelete